Skip to main content

Marvel Unlimited Review


Today's review is of Marvel Unlimited! I didn't want to post a screenshot of a comic because that seems illegal, so here is a picture of my cat. For the uninitiated, Marvel Unlimited is a comic book app. Think e-reader meets subscription here. For $70 per year (or $10 per month), you get, yes, unlimited access to all of the Marvel comics in the subscription. That is almost all of them, although the really old ones are clearly scanned in, and it seems like they had trouble tracking down some of the issues, so there might be some weird time skips for the older ones. It's a nice economical and space-efficient way to read a bunch of comics. Here are some random thoughts:

  • You can stick to one series and it'll remember your place in all the ones you follow.
  • There's a convenient "read" checkmark that appears after you've read something.
  • Automatic spot-saving is device specific, so if you have it in a family library for example, everyone can read on their own.
  • Speaking of devices, you can read on your phone or computer. I haven't tested tablets but that seems ideal.
  • They have featured comics and reader guides if you need ideas of what to read next. The reader guides are sort of like a thematic roundup.
    • I clicked on a Wolverine one a long time ago now and have been reading the classic Wolverine series from around 1990 ever since. They only suggested a couple of issues of each thing, so it's not meant to be overwhelming, but I like to be thorough.
    • The current feature as I am writing is called "Infinity Trilogy" and recommends that you read Infinity Gauntlet #1-6 (1991), Infinity War #1-6 (1992), and Infinity Crusade #1-6 (1993). 
  • You can also search by character which is nice if you have a favorite character you want to follow or want to see who someone is from a new movie or TV show.
  • They have a new thing called Infinity Comics that is 100% digital...no page delineations. It's meant to be scrolled from top to bottom. Some of these are very cute like It's Jeff, one of my favorites about a baby landshark who lives with Kate Bishop and runs into baby versions of Marvel characters in his adventures.
  • The reading itself is very nice. They have a feature that shows you only one panel at a time and it's really good (better than I am) at detecting panels and the order. You can turn this on or off. You can also turn another feature on and off that lets you see the whole page before and/or after you read it; I like this on so I can tell what shape the panels are and know how to orient my screen before I start the page, and then after so I can appreciate the layout since sometimes panels don't do a comic justice.
  • Unlimited links to Marvel Insider which allows you to complete missions to get points. I have spent 0 points but have somehow accumulated over 20,000. You get about 100 points per comic that you read vs 50 for visiting the blog or the Marvel Insider missions page, and 250 for reading a featured blog article (without even logging in if you have cookies enabled I guess???). Rewards are things like comic books or art, but check it out if you are interested. Right now there are some 0 cost rewards that are video chat backgrounds. You know, in case you need your boss to think you're in the X-Men Danger Room and have to leave the meeting early...
  • DC also has a comparable app if that is your thing but I have never tried it. Aside from our copious Batman memorabilia and cat named Harley Quinn, we are more of a Marvel family over here.
Overall I am loving having a Marvel Unlimited subscription. I'm not 100% sure that I get my money's worth, although if I spent some of my points I probably would. It's definitely worth it if you would be reading comics...it does not take long at all to break even given the cost of an individual comic, plus your overcrowded bookshelves will thank you. It's also just nice having the freedom to hop around to different series, and the reading guides are invaluable because if you've ever read comics, you know how much crossover there is, so knowing that you are reading things in a way that kind of makes sense is so helpful. It's a nice waiting room/sidewalk-waiting-for-Uber-EATS activity since it's nice and quiet and doesn't require great internet.

On a Wolverine-specific point, I'm thoroughly enjoying it! Reading only Wolverine and not taking interludes into the X-Men when they would have come out, the story skips a little bit, and there were a few old ones missing, but I'm able to piece together enough to follow it. It doesn't take itself seriously at all, and he's super cool and quotable. "Nuff said, Bub."

How I feel after: relaxed, although varies by comic
Enjoyability: ðŸ˜¸ðŸ˜¸ðŸ˜¸ðŸ˜¸
Cooperativity: ðŸ˜¸ðŸ˜¸
Recommend? Yes if you like comics and/or superheroes, no if you don't.

Links:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pokémon Violet

It's been a little over a week since the Pokémon company released their newest set of games, Scarlet and Violet, for the Nintendo Switch. For those who don't know, the story of both games is the same, but if you want to catch all of the 400ish pokémon in the pokedex, you'll need a friend with the other version of the game to catch the exclusive ones. Shannon is playing Scarlet, and I am playing Violet, so that is what I am looking at today. Now, this game is addictive. In contrast to previous games (disclaimer: I have only played Sword prior to this), this generation takes place in an open world format. That means there are things EVERYWHERE. Once you get off of tutorial island, you can complete the main story in any order you choose, meaning that all of the main quests are given to you at once. You can freely walk anywhere on the map, which means you can explore, get lost, find things on the ground (useful items, pokémon, etc)...you get the idea. I don't normally like

Rakkan Ramen

  Rakkan Ramen has been on our to-try list for a long time. Ramen is one of Shannon's favorite foods, so he tends to keep a running list of local places that are opening. Add this to the fact that this location has been tantalizingly setting up to open in the Tustin District for months with their menu on full display, teasing us every time we go to see a movie there, and you get a recipe for two trips in one weekend! That's right. We didn't have anything else going on, so we decided to hop on over to The District and finally try Rakkan Ramen last Saturday. I had the hot green tea ($2, free refills, 5 calories), which was a strong, bitter matcha. The cup was hot but the tea was drinkable immediately. We each ordered the Spicy Garnet Vegan ($15.50, 580 calories), which uses their miso sauce and which the menu describes as "Vegetable broth, sesame paste, spicy miso, grilled pork, black pepper, green onion, bamboo shoots, seasoned egg, fried garlic with RAKKAN noodles...Ma

PUR Cosmetics review

  Awhile back I decided to try out a cosmetic brand I had seen doing a collaboration with Tone It Up. PUR Cosmetics sells a combination of makeup and skincare products. I ordered the Eyes for You Eye Makeup Trio which includes: Full Size On Point Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner Full Size On Point Metallic Eye Gloss (I ordered the rose gold, a "soft shade of pink") Mini Fully Charged Mascara (which I haven't tried yet) As a free gift with purchase, I also received the Skin Perfecting Foundation Brush. Skin Perfecting Foundation Brush:  I don't regularly wear foundation, so I have been using this primarily for application of bronzer and to apply the eye gloss to the high points of my cheeks. The brush is soft and dense. The handle is pretty comfortable and the curve is ergonomic, but I can feel it separate slightly with firm pressure, so I think that it may not hold up for many years of daily use. My hand also cramps a little if I am using it over my whole face; I think it p